Brothers Across the Channel – Freres d’outre – manche
The afternoon of the 26th November 2022 was a special meeting for a lodge in Dover, but an “ordinary” lodge. Because 25 years ago, Entente Cordiale Lodge No 9657 was formed by members of the UK and France. If you look at the Founders, the nationalities actually increase.
Bro. William J. RATCLIFFE
Bro *Peter M. C. STEPHENS W. Bro *John HT. PEARCE
Rt. W. Bro. *HRH PRINCE ALEXANDER of Yugoslavia
Bro. *Ronald A. CHAPMAN
Bro Derek F. FLETCHER W. Bro. Alan A. WINTER
Bro Bernard F. VIGNEAU
Bro *Harry C.S. CARTER
Bro David POWELL
Bro. *PeterW. SPRIGGS W. Bro Ronald WORDEN
Bro. *Charles L. PIDOUX
Bro Baron Gilles de REINACH HIRTZBACH
Bro. Christian M. EMELLINA
Bro Bertrand LEGENDRE
Bro. *Count Gilles POTIER de la HOUSSAYE
Bro *Alec G. RUSSELL
Bro *Jack L. WICKER OBE
Bro. Alan D. HUTCHESON
(* In Honoured Memory )
PAST MASTERS OF THE LODGE
- 1997-1999 W. Bro. William J. RATCLIFFE PPrDGSupW, PGDC (GLNF),
PGD (GLNT), PGCS (GLB)
- 1999-2000 *W. Bro. John H. T. PEARCE
- 2000-2001 W. Bro. Christopher J. CHANTREY OBE, PPrAGReg
- 2001-2002 W. Bro. Jean-François BIHL PPrGSupW
- 2002-2003 W. Bro. Cameron A.c. MACSWEEN PPrAGReg
- 2003-2004 *W. Bro. Jack L. WICKER OBE
- 2004-2005 W. Bro. Bernard WAKIM PPrAGReg
- 2005-2006 W. Bro. Anthony LUCAS
- 2006-2007 W. Bro. Dominique MADE-J
- 2007-2008 W. Bro. Alan D. HUTCHESON PPrDepGReg
- 2008-2009 W. Bro. Patrick PAPOUGNOT PPrGStB
- 2009-2010 W. Bro. Bernard F. VIGNEAU PPrAGDC,PDistJGD (H’Kong&FEast), SOGR
- 2010-2011 W. Bro. David BLOOM Jr
- 2011-2012 W. Bro. Bruno SAURON
- 2012-2013 W. Bro. Keith SIMPSON
- 2013-2014 W. Bro. Ronald WORDEN PPrSGD, LGR
- 2014-2015 W. Bro. Michel PEROL PPrSGD
- 2015-2016 W. Bro. Malcolm KETLEY
- 2016-2017 W. Bro. Malcolm KETLEY
- 2017-2018 W. Bro. Michel PE-ROL PPrSGD
- 2018-2019 W. Bro. Patrice MILLON
- 2019-2022 W. Bro. David PEARSON
One name that is present on both lists, is that of WBro Alan Hutchinson, and as is the prerogative of the Provincial Grand Master, he added an extra item at the last minute onto the agenda. The Provincial Director of Ceremonies, WBro Andy Stevens called Alan to the pedestal, where the Provincial Grand Master presented him with his 50-year certificate, celebrating 50 years in Craft Freemasonry. A very extensive CV was read by the PGM, and the Brethren present were all impressed by Alans achievement, inside and outside of Freemasonry.
The meeting had another twist, the Worshipful Masters Chair was handed over to Worshipful Brother Malcolm Ketley, and Malcolm had the honour to pass his Son to the degree of a fellowcraft.
It is always an emotional time when a father sees his son take that next step in Freemasonry, and this was by no means an acception. The ceremony was exemplary, and one that members of the lodge should be proud of. The icing on the cake, that man Alan Hutchinson delivering a near faultless Second Degree Tracing Board.
The Officers all played their part, and were a credit to the Lodge.
THE BANNER DEDICATION
With the Worshipful Master back in his rightful place, the ceremony of dedicating the new banner took place. The Worship Master conducted the Ceremony, the Provincial Grand Master, the Provincial Grand Chaplin, Howard Pashley, and Officers of the Lodge all carried out their respective parts.
The Banner was paraded around the lodge, and placed in the Southeast Corner of the Lodge, where it was unveiled by the Provincial Grand Master.
The Banner is a wonderful example of excellent workmanship, and was the result of many hours of organising by WBro David Pearson. Thanks was given to him by the Lodge for his hard work.
The meeting was concluded with the singing of the United Kingdom and French national Anthems, and we all headed downstairs for the festive board.
A strict time limit placed on the meal, as our Brothers had ferries and trains to catch back home in France.