On 7th June, on a warm humid day when thankfully the threatened thunderstorms failed to materialise, golfers from across the Province descended on West Malling Golf Club to contest the 2016 inter-lodge/chapter championship for the William Blay Trophy.
Following the customary preliminaries of bacon rolls and hot coffee, the teams sallied forth for the honour of being crowned this year’s champion lodge or chapter. With all rounds completed and scores added up, the Weald of Kent Lodge team of Keith Hodgson, Roger Charter, Peter Knott and Peter Shardlow, emerged as the clear winners.
At the post-match dinner, Assistant Provincial Grand Master and East Kent Masonic Golfing Association Captain, Peter Rodd, presented the William Blay Trophy to the victorious team, congratulating them on their achievement. On behalf of the Weald of Kent team, Keith Hodgson thanked the organisers for putting on a splendid day’s golf and said that the Weald of Kent team looked forward to defending the trophy next year.
The runners-up shield was presented to Douglas Lodge with prizes also being awarded to Peter Shardlow for the longest drive, Chris Mannell for the nearest the pin, and Peter Smith for the highest individual score and which has the potential for triggering a handicap review.
Full competition result:
1. Weald of Kent Lodge No 1854, 143 points
2. Douglas Lodge No 1725, 129
3. Beamish Lodge No 3869, 118
4. Malling Abbey Chapter No 1063, 113
5= Staplehurst Lodge No 8145, 110
5= Snar Gate Lodge (1st team) No 6770, 110
7. Downs Lodge (2nd team) No 6885, 109
8. Downs Lodge (1st team) No 6885, 106
9. Globe & Laurel Lodge No 4657, 95
10. Royal Navy Lodge No 429, 90
11. Snar Gate Lodge (2nd team), 84
12. Brownrigg Lodge of Unity No 1424, 60