The Provincial Grand Royal Arch
The Holy Royal Arch - commonly known as ‘The Chapter’ - is an inclusive part of Craft Freemasonry, but neither superior nor inferior to it. All Master Masons are eligible for membership as Freemasonry is a journey from Initiation to Exaltation.
The origins of the Chapter go back to at least the first half of the eighteenth century but in its modern form emerged with the formation of the first Grand Chapter in 1817, following upon the merger of the then two Grand Lodges in 1813.
For full information upon the Supreme Grand Chapter please visit their website.
Records exist of only four Chapters in existence in the County of Kent in the C18th, the oldest of which was probably the Holy Mount Mariah Chapter, which met in Chatham, (warranted 1783). However there were various Military Lodges which held ambulatory Warrants, which at various times were stationed in the County and practised Royal Arch Masonry.
The first Grand Superintendent, Captain George Smith, was appointed in 1778, but the Provincial Grand Chapter was not formed until 1877, when William Archer, Viscount Holmesdale / Earl Amherst was appointed Grand Superintendent. At that time there were 11 chapters.
By 1973 there were some 90 Chapters (and 300 Lodges) and the decision was taken to divide both the Craft and Chapter provinces of Kent between East and West with an approximate division of the number of Lodges and Chapters, since when the Chapter in East Kent has gone from strength to strength, so that today there are some 68 Chapters.
Recent Royal Arch News
A team from the Province of Bristol demonstrate their Holy Royal Arch Workings to a packed Chapter in Maidstoneread more
Hundreds of Freemasons from East Kent and beyond, with their wives and families, attend the Choral Evensong service at Canterbury Cathedral.read more
Maeides Stana Chapter celebrates its 25th anniversary.read more
Another demonstration of “Prologues” at an Exaltation ceremony in Wigmore.read more
The annual Provincial Chapter Convocation was held at Margate on Thursday 21st May 2015.read more
Arthur Ferguson receives a long service certificate to mark his 50 years in the Royal Archread more