Worshipful Bro. Mark Christopher Bassant, PAGP, PProvSGW
Born in Minster in 1966, educated at St Anselm’s in Canterbury and Westlands High School in Sittingbourne. At a young age Mark was the only boy in a Convent for Saturday Morning School.
Since leaving school Mark has worked in the Financial Services Industry and, in 1991, he started an Independent Financial Services Company in Sittingbourne where he still works. Married to Jacqueline, they have three children, Harry born in 1997, Olivia in 2000 and William in 2003.
Mark enjoys many things in life: golf (but not with a low handicap), motor-cycling, cycling (including the London to Brighton bike ride several times), clay pigeon shooting and gardening.
Masonic History: Craft
Mark was initiated into Gore Court Lodge No: 8231 in 1992 and Worshipful Master in 2000. He held Office from 2001 until 2016 when he gave up the Office as Secretary of the Lodge.
He is a Member of the following Lodges:
- The Kent Provincial Grand Stewards Lodge (currently its Secretary).
- East Kent Masters Lodge (Treasurer from 2007 to 2016).
- The Millennium Lodge of Charity in East Kent
- The Spirit of Rugby Lodge (of which he is a Founder)
- Provincial Grand Steward in 2007, promoted to Provincial Senior Grand Warden in 2011.
- Provincial Grand Charity Steward in 2017
- Assistant Grand Pursuivant of The United Grand Lodge of England in 2015.
Masonic History: Royal Arch Chapter
Exalted into St Michael’s Chapter No: 1273 in 1995
Founder Member of The Gore Court Chapter No: 8231 in 2000, First Principal in 2006. Charity Steward since 2003 and currently Director of Ceremonies. Mark is also a member of The East Kent First Principals’ Chapter
- Provincial Grand Steward in April 2012
- Provincial Grand Scribe Nehemiah in May 2016
Membership of Other Masonic Orders:
- Mark Master Masons (Past Master and currently Director of Ceremonies)
- Royal Arch Mariner (Past W. Commander and currently Director of Ceremonies)
- Red Cross of Constantine (Past M.P.S and Past Active Steward).
- Royal and Select Masters (Past District Treasurer from 2010 to 2015 and currently District Grand Principal Conductor of the Works). Appointed Grand Rank 2016 AGDC
- Allied Masonic Degree (Council Treasurer)
- The Order of Athelstan
Other Masonic Duties:
- Chief Executive Officer of the Cornwallis East Kent Freemasons’ Charity.
- Chairman of the Association of Patrons of the Kent Museum of Freemasonry.
- Secretary of the Provincial Charity Committee.
- Secretary of the Sittingbourne Masonic Centre.
Mark believes in Freemasonry and all it stands for and would encourage every Freemason to sing its praises where and whenever possible.