Gundulph Lodge No 1050 celebrates its Sesquicentennial Anniversary
On the 22nd March 1865 Gundulph Lodge No 1050 was consecrated by Worshipful Brother Henry Muggeridge of the Old Concord Lodge No 172, at the Guild Hall in Rochester. This important event was celebrated one hundred and fifty years later with a ceremony at the Corn Exchange in Rochester on the 23rd March 2015.
The ceremony was attended by the Provincial Grand Master, Right Worshipful Brother Geoffrey Dearing, accompanied by the Deputy Provincial Grand Master, Very Worshipful Brother Roger Odd, two Assistant Provincial Grand Masters, Worshipful Brothers Peter Williams and Peter Hagger and several members of the Executive and active officers of the year.
The meeting was addressed by the Provincial Grand Master before it was closed by the Master, Worshipful Brother Rick Kalsi. The Ladies and non-Masonic guests were then invited into the lodge room and a short history of the Lodge was given by the Senior Past Master, Worshipful Brother Robert Naylar, before the Provincial Grand Master again addressed the gathering.
Geoffrey spoke at length about the person that inspired the name of the lodge - Bishop Gundulph - who was installed as Bishop of Rochester in March 1077. Geoffrey also reminded everyone that Gundulph Lodge is named on a brass plaque in the cathedral, dated 1894.
To further mark this special occasion, the Lodge Charity Steward, Worshipful Brother John Legg, presented the Provincial Grand Master with a cheque to the value of £1,000, in favour of The Cornwallis East Kent Freemasons’ Charity.
Afterwards all were invited to attend a sumptuous, friendly and enjoyable banquet which replicated that served at the Centennial Anniversary in 1965. All those present received an 1865 – 2015 history of the Lodge compiled by Worshipful Brother Michael Ives, together with an engraved bookmark.