On a warm and wind free April day, the golfers of East Kent took on the might of Metropolitan Grand Lodge in the annual challenge match for the Russell John Race Claret Jug. Hosting the match on West Malling’s Hurricane Course, the East Kent team retained the trophy beating Metropolitan by 3 matches to 2.
The post-match dinner was its usual convivial event. On this occasion it was attended by the Past Metropolitan Grand Master, Russell Race, who congratulated the East Kent team and presented the Russell John Race Claret Jug to their captain, Keith Hodgson. In doing so, Russell said that on this occasion Metropolitan was only “lending” the trophy to East Kent. Keith responded by reminding Russell that Metropolitan could not “lend” something they had never possessed, pointing out that the only name on the Claret Jug was that of East Kent!
Perhaps next year….
Members of the East Kent team were (left to right):- Peter Marno, Mark Dutton, Peter Mackay, Chris Metherell, Russell Race, Derek Reed, Keith Hodgson (captain), Daren Horne, Peter Knott, Bob Appleby and Keith Stoner
Full match result:
- Keith Hodgson and Chris Metherell lost to Simon McCarthy and Eric Mould 3 & 2
- Bob Appleby and Keith Stoner beat Richard Wigg 5 & 4
- Mark Dutton and Peter Marno lost to Jeremy Lindopp and Steve Pollock on the last hole
- Derek Reed and Daren Horne beat Danny May and Phillip Beckwith 4 & 3
- Peter Knott and Peter Mackay beat Sian Lan Choo and John Massmann 4 & 2